Leaving a party is hard.
Sending your guests away with a delectably adorable treat will definitely soften the blow!
These tiny pies are made entirely from candy; berry gummies on the inside and a toffee weave on top.
Candy Pie Supplies (per pie)
- App. 5 chewable toffee candies (I used Werther’s Toffee Chews)
- 6-8 pieces of jelly candy for the filling (I used The Natural Confectionery Company Berry Bliss jellies and Starburst Fruit Mix jellies)
- Mini pie tin (about 8cm diameter)
- Baking paper
- Rolling pin (you can use a wine bottle if you don’t have a rolling pin)
- Clean food-safe scissors
- Small square cardboard gift box for presentation (totally optional)
- Please note: Decide how many you’re going to make in advance and just multiply the ingredients based on that. It’s best to prepare the toffee all at once rather than one pie at a time!
Candy Pie Instructions
1. Unwrap chewable toffee candies and group together on a sheet of baking paper
2. Place baking paper with candies on it in the microwave and microwave for 20 seconds
3. Remove from microwave, place a second sheet of baking paper on top and use your rolling pin to roll the partially melted toffee into a thin sheet, approximately 3mm thick
4. Leave the toffee to harden up for about 5 minutes
5. After it’s hardened up a bit, peel the top sheet of baking paper off and use your scissors to cut the toffee into strips 1-1.5cm wide and 10cm long
6. You will use 7 strips per pie
7. Take one strip and use your hands to gently stretch it out to 25cm (it will be thin but that’s fine)
8. Carefully place the long strip around the rim of your mini pie tin
9. Arrange your jellies in the mini pie tin
10. Weave six of the 10cm strips alternating under and over
11. Place on top of the pie tin, over the jellies and press the edges down onto the toffee rim
12. Use your scissors to trim around the edge of the mini pie tin
Please note: If it’s the middle of summer and your house is warm, the toffee does droop after a while; it doesn’t fully melt, but it does spread a bit and doesn’t look as amazing, so keep them in the fridge until the party. If your house is cooler, though, you’ll be fine.