It's winter in Australia! While I could do without the numb fingertips as I tap away on my computer like Scrooge's assistant Bob Cratchit, I do enjoy the garment layering opportunities the season has to offer.
I also enjoy winter food! I bought myself a winter tub of hot chocolate a couple weeks ago and whilst sipping some, I decided to transform hot chocolate into a cake.
So here it is! My Hot Chocolate-inspired mug cakes with gooey roasted marshmallows and hot chocolate ganache.
Hot Chocolate Mug Cake Supplies
- 6 mugs
- Can of spray whipped cream
Hot Chocolate Mug Cakes Ingredients
- 1 ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup (226g) butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 70g (1/2 cup chopped milk chocolate or chocolate chips)
Hot Chocolate Mug Cakes Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C
2. Grease six mugs with cooking spray or butter
3. Fill mugs about halfway with cake batter
4. Bake for 20 minutes then set aside to cool (note: I placed all my mugs on a baking tray and put that in the oven)
5. When they’re done, take them out and put aside
6. Turn the oven up to 220C/428F and while it gets hotter, get the ganache going
Milk Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 225g/8oz milk chocolate, broken into pieces
Milk Chocolate Ganache Instructions
1. Microwave the heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute
2. Add the 225g/8oz milk chocolate and leave to sit for 5 minutes
Ooey-Gooey Marshmallow Ingredients
- 1 ½ cups mini marshmallows
Ooey-Gooey Marshmallow Instructions
1. While the chocolate and hot milk sit, pop about 3 tablespoons of mini marshmallows into each mug, on top of the cake
2. Put the mugs back in the oven for 5-10 minutes (it really depends on your oven - just keep an eye on them and take them out when the marshmallows have a bit of a golden crust on them)
3. By this time, the chocolate should have slowly melted in the hot cream; when it’s melted, gently stir until combined and smooth
Hot Chocolate Mug Cake Assembly
1. Pour the hot ganache over the melted gooey marshmallow, evenly dividing between each mug
2. Top with a squirt of whipped cream and sprinkles
3. Serve straight away!
Subscribe to Bean Mail to stay on top
of this here blog situation!