Oh good, another cake that'll confuse your brain and leave you unsure whether it's dinnertime or dessertime.
GOOD IS RIGHT!
It's pretty cool how this cake looks like a pizza but it's especially cool how yummy it is.
It's a light and fluffy vanilla cake base topped with homemade strawberry sauce, creamy white chocolate ganache, little red cake pepperonis, mushroom-shaped pear and teeny bits of pear skin for the herbs.
The finished product is so fun to present to pizza-loving pals. Off you go!
Pizza Cake Base Ingredients
(please note: this Vanilla Cake recipe is from Country Living)
- 1½ cups sifted cake flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup whole milk
Pepperoni Cakes Ingredients
1. Preheat oven to 205C/400F and grease a large round pan (about 23cm/9") and if it's not very non-stick, line the bottom with a circle of baking paper
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a small bowl
3. Beat the butter with an electric mixer until it's like coarse, chunky sand
4. Add sugar one tablespoon at a time, beating between each addition; you want the final mix to look like damp sand
5. Beat in the eggs one at a time
6. Add the vanilla and milk and beat until JUST combined
7. Remove ¼ cup of batter, put it into a small bowl and set it aside
8. Pour the rest of the batter into prepped pan and bake about 30mins (until skewer inserted into the middle comes back clean or with just a couple crumbs clinging)
Pepperoni Cakes Ingredients
- ¼ cup reserved cake batter
- 1 teaspoon red food colouring
- Tiny drop of black food colouring
Pepperoni Cakes Instructions
1. Add the food colouring to the small bowl of batter - I recommend adding the red first, mixing it, then adding just the teeniest speckles of black food colouring until you're happy with the colour
2. Grease a mini muffin tin
3. Put about a teaspoon of the red batter into each hole in the muffin tin (there will be a little red batter leftover but that's okay because it's good to have backup in case something goes wrong)
4. When the base cake is out of the oven, put the mini muffin tin in and bake for 5 minutes
Strawberry Sauce Ingredients
- 2 cups strawberries (fresh or thawed from frozen)
- ¼ cup sugar
- Juice from ½ lemon
Strawberry Sauce Instructions
1. Put all ingredients in a pot and heat and stir until sugar dissolves
2. Blitz all ingredients in blender and pulse just once or twice – you want to keep it a bit chunky!
3. Return to pot and simmer over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, until thick and darkened
White Chocolate Ganache Cheese Ingredients
- ¼ cup cream
- 170g/6oz white chocolate
White Chocolate Ganache Cheese Instructions
1.Heat cream over low heat until it’s just too warm to touch comfortably (you can just microwave it or do on stovetop)
2. Remove from heat and add white chocolate
3. Stir until melted
Pear Mushrooms and Herbs Ingredients
- 1 ripe green pear
Pear Mushrooms and Herbs Instructions
1. Slice a pear top to bottom with slices about ½ cm thick
2. From those slices, cut out the shapes of mushrooms slices, with a stem and a cap
3. Slice up scraps of skin to make ‘herbs’ for the pizza
Pizza Cake Assembly
1. If the cake domed when it baked, slice the dome off then turn the cake upside down; you’re going to add topping to the bottom because it’s flatter and just betterrrrr
2. Spoon strawberry sauce on the cake base and use the back of a spoon to spread it around
3. Drizzle half-cooled white chocolate ganache over the sauce, leaving a little bit of sauce showing here and there to create the "melted cheese" look
4. Place pepperoni cakes however you like them
5. Place pear mushrooms and herbs wherever you see fit
6. Slice with a pizza cutter and get used to being everybody's favourite person!
Subscribe to Bean Mail to stay on top
of this here blog situation!